Sunday, July 20, 2014

Trip to Higuey

Today was a very good, yet sad day. We went to Higuey with some of the Dominican teens and went through the farmers market and several shops. There were highlights throughout the day however, I did have one specific highlight. Today I interacted more with the Dominican teens that did not speak English; it was quite a learning experience for both of us because we had to basically play charades. The really awesome thing was that we both understood each other even though we spoke separate languages! I even practiced and expanded my Spanish vocabulary today. The Dominican teens would laugh at me but were so nice and helpful at the same time! They even asked me to teach them some words in English, which made me feel extremely happy! 

Another highlight of my day was when we were all eating lunch. I sat beside Jerald and while we were waiting on our food he showed me a lot of photos of his family and pets. I could tell how important his family, pets included, was to him; it was so adorable to see photos of his family and to see Jerald’s face light up while he shared those with me. I cannot put into words to describe this past week and my experiences here. This is only my second year coming to Punta Cana and visiting Higuey again still hit me hard, seeing their way of life and purchasing goods from the farmers market. It makes me sad yet motivates me to strive for making an impact in this world and to help others that need it most. 

All in all, it was a great time that I will never forget; helping each other to learn each other’s languages. The sad moment was saying goodbye. We all had such a great time, bonding, laughing, and dancing on the bus. Jerald, one of the Dominican teens that only speaks Spanish, sat with me on the bus and when he was leaving he looked at me and said, “Good bye forever”. When Jerald said that to me, it me hard because I truly have developed a great friendship with all of them. Hopefully it isn't goodbye forever though and I will be able to make the trip again next year.  

Submitted by Allyson Cutlip (Bath County) 









No comments:

Post a Comment